Saturday, April 7, 2012

WOD for 4-7-12


One of the things I'll be doing on this blog is posting my WOD, or Workout of the Day. Hopefully, this will inspire you to get out there and get your own WOD done, whether following the same routine as I do or designing your own.

From my experience these past two years trying to find the ideal health and fitness plan (see Inaugural blog post), what I have found works best for sticking to regular workouts is variety. It's why I love doing Crossfit (which you'll hear more about in future posts) three days a week, and then sprinkling in on other days an nice variety of walking, hiking, road cycling, mountain biking, swimming, and other sports.

Today's WOD: 10-mile mountain bike at Lake Hodges. Also added 1.25 mile walk.

If you only know Lake Hodges from the brief glimpse you get as you speed over it on the 15 freeway in Escondido, I highly recommend you take the time to explore its trails, which are well maintained if a bit rocky. Tucked out of view of the freeway is a beautiful lake that rivals some of my favorite hiking spots in the Eastern Sierras.

We started at the trail head across from Hernandez' Hideaway (a great spot for a post- ride meal), and headed along the northeast side of the lake. Most of this trail is gently rolling with just a few technical challenges, but farther out, there are some single track spurs you can take . The hills on these give you a great endurance challenge going up and a true thrill ride going down.

Beautiful scenery, physical challenge, and fun--my idea of a great workout!

5 comments:

  1. Sean, you look great on the mountain bike. You made a great choice in choosing the bicycle as your workout tool. I know I am a bit biased but I know you will get the results you are looking for, it's only a matter of time.

    I'll be following your progress through this blog and I look forward to us riding together some day soon.

    Take care my friend and happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly--you've always been a huge inspiration to me! Trying to act on that now, including a lot more biking for every day transportation as you do. Can't wait to get a ride in with you.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sean! Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far! Looking forward to your meal planning tips.

    ReplyDelete