Sunday, April 8, 2012

Weekly Meal Plan

My goal is to post my weekly meal plan on this blog every Sunday. My diet is probably the thing I'm asked about most often. And while I've explained how I've been eating and shared a lot of recipes, one thing I often hear from friends is "Just show me what to do." I'm hoping the meal plan can accomplish this.

Planning has been essential. If I don't have the meals planned out for the week and all of the ingredients stocked up, I know I will probably not eat well. I've been there before. It is far too easy to take the easy way out--to dine out, grab some fast food, or make some quick, processed meal. The main reason I've had success thus far is that by planning out my meals using the valuable resources I have discovered, I'm able to create highly satisfying and relatively easy-to-make meals. While I will share more in later posts about how I am trying to eat, for now, I'll just post the plan, often including links to the particular recipe that I will use, and a shopping list of the important things to stock up on.

As I mentioned above, I will explain the eating approach in future posts, but as you look at some of the meals below, you may find some of them counter-intuitive to a healthy approach to nutrition. Michelle, too, was a bit skeptical when we started, but she trusted the research I had done and chose to go along with me in this approach. In addition to the weight loss we've experienced, there have been other clear markers that this has been a healthy experience for us. You may also wonder about the time and money we put into this eating approach. I have many friends who say they don't have the time or ability to cook healthy meals. I basically have selected meals that are relatively quick and easy to prepare--if not, I probably wouldn't have the ability, or the will, to make them, either. And we've actually saved money since eating this way. We've found we waste a lot less food, we eat out far less often (though you may question that when you look at the plan below), and we don't spend money on a lot of processed snacks and desserts.

One more thing: my focus, as you can see, is on dinner. I will explain the 2-3 breakfast choices I basically repeat, for simplicity's sake, throughout the week in a later post. As for lunch, we always try to double the dinner recipes you'll see below so we can have leftovers as our lunch the following day--been working out very well.

So I hope you find this helpful. If nothing else, it will help me remain accountable in my own efforts. Here's this week's plan:

Monday: Dining out with my good friend Jon up in LA. I'll tackle dining out in later posts.

Tuesday: Smoked Avocado Lime Pork Chops--recipe from The Civilized Caveman--with salad and grilled peppers

Wednesday: Fried chicken, using EVO and nut flour--recipe from Mark's Daily Apple--plus salad and steamed broccoli (if I don't have fresh, I used frozen organic broccoli)

Thursday: Late lunch, I hope, with my friend Karen and then late dinner out with another good friend, Ryan, from LA--using spring break to do some catch up

Friday: Grilled shrimp salad

Saturday: Meatballs in read sauce--recipe from Fast Paleo--over spaghetti squash with salad.

Sunday: Bacon Wrapped Beef Franks with Spicy "Relish"--recipe from The Civilized Caveman--plus salad and grilled asparagus

Shopping List:
*Note--I try to buy organic, cage-free, grassfed, etc., when possible and, honestly, affordable--more on this in later post

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 dz beef franks
2 lb large shrimp (I buy frozen from Costco)
8 chicken breasts
4 bone-in pork chops
2-3 lbs uncured bacon (I like to purchase from Fresh and Easy, their own brand, but I also sometimes splurge on uncured jalapeno bacon from Baron's)
1 package gluten free sausage links (I buy big package of these from meat section at Costco that lasts a whole month)
1-1/2 dozen organic, cage-free eggs (both Costco and Sam's Club sell these--well-worth the slightly higher price)
Unsalted macadamias, walnuts, and pecans
Parmesan, Asiago, Romano Shredded Cheese Blend
Avocado
Spaghetti squash
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Peppers
Asparagus






No comments:

Post a Comment