Sunday, December 2, 2012

What's the Best Workout?

I know remember where I heard this or perhaps read this, but a great response to the question in the title of this post was, "The one you'll actually do."  So true.  I have embarked on so many fitness endeavors in the past, and even with the best of intentions or strong initial efforts, I often found myself bored, burned out, injured...or sometimes just flat out dreading the workout.  While cycling has been the sport for me that has definitely kept me inspired--whether I'm commuting, hauling, or riding for sport/recreation (see ride report below), I'm always excited about getting on the bike.

However, the same cannot be said of my regular workouts, which are designed to ensure that I "Lift Heavy Things (LHT)" as per the Primal Blueprint.  I had done Crossfit for almost a year, and while I enjoyed it, the toll it was taking on my body often had me dreading the next session.  I've been trying to program crossfit-inspired workouts for myself, but have been finding both the planning and the workouts themselves tedious.  Recently, I revisited the Primal Blueprint Fitness eBook, which is available with a free subscription to Mark's Daily Apple.  In it, the author, Mark Sisson, greatly simplifies the "LHT" portion of the blueprint.  In fact, he advocates completing just "four essential movements"(see overview and videos HERE) that involve body weight lifting two times per week.  They are simple, easy, quick, and, most importantly, effective.   I've been experimenting with these the past couple of weeks and have been feeling good, keeping injury free, and, while not exactly looking forward to each workout, at least motivated by the knowledge that they will be short and sweet.

I've also decided to modify/augment the approach a bit.  Instead of 4 movements twice a week, I'm working out ever other day and doing 3 exercises each time (in addition to a warm up).  In the spirit of "the one you'll actually do," I've added two kettle bell drills I really like, Russian Swings and Upright Rows.  These make 6 movements which I'm alternating every two days, 3 movements each.  So far so good--I'll keep you posted, and if you're doing the workouts, let me know what you think.

As for this week's ride report, I got no commuting or hauling in this week, but made up for it with a 35 mile ride to the Rainbow Oaks Restaurant on Old Highway 395 down in Rainbow.  We did a circuitous, traffic-avoiding route from our home in Murrieta through Temecula.  The steep climb up to Rainbow Canyon was challenging, but inspiring views helped:

After a tough climb, a fun downhill took us to the restaurant after just a hair under 17 miles:

We got a spot on the patio in the back where we could keep an eye on the bikes:


We then had a fantastic breakfast and much needed coffee to refuel for the ride home:






Unfortunately, the food was too good, and I ate a little bit too much considering I had to tackle the hill back up the canyon to get home--fortunately, on this side of the hill it is a long, gradual climb unlike the steep route we had coming:


Once we made it over, the ride speeding down to the Temecula Creek golf course was exciting:

Back to flat land, we quickly escaped Temecula traffic by crossing the bridge west of Old Town:

This back route is pleasant, and there is an underused bike trail that runs along Diaz Rode next to the wash.  Lots of Heron spotting along the way, though I wasn't quick enough with my camera.

Once we got back to Murrieta, Michelle was all smiles knowing we were on the home stretch:

We were just shy of 35 miles when we reached our house, so we did a quick loop of the neighborhood to finish at 35.25.  Beautiful ride, beautiful day, beautiful riding partner...nice way to end the week.

Here are the planned workouts and meals for the week:

Workouts

Tuesday, 12/4

Warm Up (2 rounds):
  • 15 min walk
  • Samson stretch
  • 15 sit ups
Workout (2 rounds):
  • Air squats (max reps)
  • Push ups (max reps)
  • Planks (max time)

Thursday, 12/6

Warm Up (2 rounds):
  • 15 min walk
  • Samson stretch
  • 15 rolling v-sits
  • 10 twist lunges
Workout (2 rounds):
  • Russian Swings (max reps)
  • Upright Rows (max reps)
  • Pull ups, chair assisted (max reps)

 Saturday, 12/8

Warm Up (2 rounds):
  • 15 min walk
  • Samson stretch
  • 15 sit ups
Workout (2 rounds):
  • Air squats (max reps)
  • Push ups (max reps)
  • Planks (max time)

Meals

Monday, 12/3

 

Smoky Bacon Chili over baked sweet potato


Tuesday, 12/4

 

Philly Cheesesteak Melts (without the bread)--inspired by my friend Mary


Wednesday, 12/5

Pho--sans noodles

Thursday, 12/7

 

Easy Curry Chicken over cauliflower rice

Friday, 12/8

 

Mini-Meatloaf

Saturday, 12/9

 

Chicken Fajitas with Roasted Carrot Fries

Sunday, 12/10

Chicken Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment